Thursday, January 19, 2012

Fast, easy, scrumptious? Yes please!

Okay so in Monday's post I mentioned my new favorite recipe. That post actually reminded me that I've been meaning to post about it because well, its just that freaking delicious!! You can find the original recipe HERE but I tweaked several things so I'm also going to give you mine :)
*my changes are in italic.
ingredients:
1 lb lean ground beef 1 lb ground turkey
1 onion , chopped I used a 1/2 of a yellow onion
2 garlic cloves , smashed I substituted this for 2tsp of garlic salt
1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons salt completely left this out because I used garlic salt instead
1 teaspoon dried oregano Oregano doesn't make a ton of difference so I just sprinkled until satisfied
12 ounces cottage cheese (we like 2%) Being that cottage cheese only locally comes in 16oz containers I just used the full 16oz instead. I also used fat free.
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/2 cup asiago cheese
12 ounces lasagna noodles , uncooked My crockpot is circle so I just basically broke up the noodles because they wouldn't fit and I layered
16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese

directions:
1
Brown ground beef, onion and garlic in frypan.
2
Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt and oregano.
3
Cook long enough to get it warm.
4
Spoon a layer of meat sauce onto the bottom of the slow cooker.
5
Add a double layer of uncooked lasagna noodles (break to fit) and top with cheeses.
6
Repeat with sauce, noodles and cheeses until all are used up.
7
Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.

I highly recommend only cooking for 4. Also on many reviews that I read it said to add 1 cup of water. I used 2 cups of water instead, it helps to not burn your noodles up. Also this isn't a recipe that you can just leave in the pot for several hours after the four hours are up promptly remove it or you're going to have black burnt edges. Generally I get about 3 layers of noodles, make sure you double layer throughout or it will be a little more on the watery side (not completely, I mean its still good being that I single layered the first time but tonight when I cooked it it was much much better).

If I still haven't sold you on this recipe, I'll lay out some facts for you: Honey normally gets two servings majority of the time with other dishes I make. TRex normally sticks to one. This time honey couldn't get enough and took it for lunch the next day. TRex actually had gone to dinner with a friend prior to coming home and when he got here, he smelt it and grabbed himself a bowl. Then a second...then informed me he wanted the rest of the leftovers for lunch. Huge hit in this household! don't worry, I gave myself a huge pat on the back being that these boys are some picky picky eaters!

Saturday night we are having a girls sleepover and we are all bringing appetizers/finger foods. I'm still undecided on what to bring...any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to be a whore, a comment whore that is. I respond straight to your email, because I'm just that fabulous. ;)