Saturday, December 10, 2011

driving to the future

I've never really thought about my future, I mean sure I've thought about a future hubby and maybe some tots, but as far as expenses go for the past 22 years there was no real reason or drive there for me to do so. I had been single and really never thought I would find someone worth settling down with for several years, I would probably be in my thirties, so I've been living as a free bird. Maybe it was irresponsible to not be saving money all along for my future; when it comes down to it, I'm not a huge thinker on the "what-ifs" or "what could be's". In reality all along I've trained myself to not look towards the future but to stay in the present. The future generally scared the hell out of me: what if I'm that single old cat woman? What if I live with my parents till I'm 40? Oh the responsibility of growing up.

Here I am looking towards the future. Aside from all the anxiety that has been taking place, I'm forcing myself to look down the road and mixing the present with the future: what do I need to do now to get where I want to be then? If I could change one thing about my past it would be that I was more responsible with my money. I wish I would have learned about a savings account earlier on, and upon retrieving the knowledge I wish I would have taken it more seriously in reference to my future. Yet that's where I am at now.



via google images


Its that point in mine and Honey's relationship where we need to start thinking, planning, saving towards what we want a little ways down the road. We mutually agree that we prefer to save money for a house rather than renting. After sitting down and budgeting out all of my necessary expenses ie. car payment, car insurance, life insurance, gas etc. I realize now how much easier saving money would be if I would've saved all along and had a jump start. I'm starting at square one and if I want to get any sort of down payment for a house within the next six months-year I'm going to have to start crunching my spending. I'm going to have to opt out on the expensive shampoo I love so much and opt in for the one that may be just as good yet cheaper. In the end, if my car was paid off I would have much more room in my budget but its not due to be paid off till 2015. Which I plan on looking into refinancing maybe getting the payments down due to all the extra money vie already put towards it.




I've had so much anxiety over buying a house lately it's not even funny. When I look into all the costs that we will have to dish out it's almost nauseating. Can Honey and I do it? Of course we can. Its just going to take some time, planning, saving, and dedication.

I've never wanted something so bad in my life and I'm at that point where I will do anything and everything to get where I want to be. So goodbye my expensive makeup, goodbye my random shopping sprees, goodbye my love for iTunes. In the end, I know saving for a down payment will be worth it and now I finally have the drive and dedication to do it.

1 comment:

  1. As long as you want it bad enough you can do it. I'm horrible for saving. I always spend til I'm broke and it's a habit I really need to break now that I have a little one. Plus I want to start buying adult furniture.. not a ratty old couch and my Mom's little kitchen table. So I wish us both luck :p

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to be a whore, a comment whore that is. I respond straight to your email, because I'm just that fabulous. ;)