Sunday, November 20, 2011

chicken crossing

So over the past couple of days I have no had any time to post anything. I know that's what scheduled posts are made for but there's one thing I don't like about schedule posts. the scheduled post is posted, later that day I have time to kill and I've thought up something that I actually wanted to post thatday. It never fails. I mean I could schedule it for the following day, but then everything I want to post is going to be scheduled in advance and by the time it's posted, chances are I won't care about it anymore. Okay and this is where I'm losing you. Lol

So I met with a diet doctor, yes an actual diet doctor not one of those nutritionists at weight watchers, Wednesday evening. For short we will call him DH. I swear to you he was more excited about me losing weight then Honey and I combined. Maybe it was an attempt to get me excited, however after several failing attempts over the past four years I'm just not that excited anymore. I'm aware I give up to easily and it's my fault, not the diet(s). However normally I go for the cheap diets, if I fail not much money was lost. In the end the $ adds up. This time I have no choice, Honey paid a whopping $210 on this. There's no room for error. I cannot let him down.

The thing I liked loved about DH, he didn't sugarcoat shit. Some call him a whack, I call it brilliant. The first thing a diet doctor is going to tell you, okay maybe not the first but it will come up, is to drop the sodas. ALL sodas. Not DH. He didn't verbalize it but I saw where he was going with it. He's focusing on cutting the calories first rather than changing your lifestyle on the spin of a dime aka ending in total failure its too much of a lifestyle shock. He gave me the "okay" on drinking diet sodas, cutting the calories yet still giving me the pleasure of a nice cold soda. He even encouraged me to still keep drinking my coffee as long as I use a zero calorie sugar substitute. Perfect, I already use sweet-n-low

Secondly, he didn't love the fact that I smoke cigarettes but told me that we would eventually wean them out and get me to a healthier lifestyle. I'm okay with that. So I've been trying to watch my calories and choose healthier alternatives without overdoing it, I don't want to send myself into shock and start backing away. Last night Honey and I celebrated his nephews birthday at Outback Steakhouse. Now, I could've gone for simple grilled chicken but quite frankly I don't care if I ever eat chicken again after forcing it down so much. So I decided to still eat chicken rather than my normal fucking delicious extremely bad for you cheeseburger and fries but I decided to change it up hoping I saved some calories by going with the Alice Spring Quesadilla, the small portion 4 slices over the regular portion, 8. When it came out to the table I quickly realized it wasn't the best choice, even though it was grilled. I could tell it was greasy looking and I even mentioned it but Honey argued that it was probably just from the skillet and that it wasn't that bad for me. Now, coming from Honey it made me feel better just because when it comes to fitness he knows what the hell he's talking about. However, conversation was brought up this morning again about the poor seemingly okay choice of the quesadilla. The result? It was not seemingly okay at all. And just because I know Honey will read this, I'm going to go ahead and say it...I was right. When I first googles it, it didn't mention the portion size. When I told honey it said almost 650 calories, he quickly responded with "that's probably the regular size quesadilla, you got the small one". On that note, I had to find out the portion and what calories belonged to what.

The results:
Small portion, four slices: 623 calories.
Regular portion, eight slices: 1494 calories.

My lesson learned: just because it says grilled chicken, yes it may be healthier than fried, but it does not always mean it's the healthiest chicken choice on the menu. Which my dumb ass glued into 'grilled part' self decided to look beyond the cheese and the sautéed mushrooms along with the honey mustard dipping sauce. I should've browsed the menu beforehand, on the way there, to weigh my options...no pun intended. However I will pat myself of the back for taking my time eating it and not ordering my cheeseburger and fries. When asked by the waitress, I opted out on order a side dish. ::clap clap for my self control::

Hope everyones having a happy Sunday. Here it's soggy outside with wet roads and falling autumn leaves. I'm not ready for the autumn leaves to fall yet, bare trees means cold weather. I'm not ready for that yet, but that's a whole 'nother blog post for another day.

*side note, take today to look around with all God has blessed you with. Instead of dreading the work week starting tomorrow, thank God for blessing you with a job in order to put a roof over your head. Instead of being frustrated because your child(ren) didn't sleep in longer than you wanted, thank God for blessing you with fertility and the strength that got you through labor. When you start looking for all the blessings around you, you'll be surprised by what you've overlooked so many times before. And if you're not, then you're clearly not looking hard enough. "A faithful man shall abound with blessings, but he who makes haste to be rich, at any cost, shall not go unpunished." Proverbs 28:20

1 comment:

Feel free to be a whore, a comment whore that is. I respond straight to your email, because I'm just that fabulous. ;)